Buyers Guide: Best Flagship Killer Phones of 2019
After the launch of PocoPhone F1 in 2018, then a huge buzz around flagship killer phones was created. But before PocoPhone F1, OnePlus started the trend of high-end hardware and software at half the price of flagship phones. In 2019, there were various phones in a budget-flagship segment where the phones are priced half of those high-end phones with similar specifications. Here are two phones which can be categorized as the best flagship killer phones in 2019. The latest launched Realme X2 Pro from Realme and the Redmi K20 Pro from Xiaomi are those phones which can be truly called Flagship Killer phones.
Realme X2 Pro is recent`ly launched in India with the starting price of INR 30,000 and is the first-ever flagship-level phone from Realme and is certainly a huge success. Similarly, Redmi K20 Pro is another phone which features high –end specification at even lower price compared to X2 Pro. Talking about the price of the phone, the phone is priced Rs. 49,999 in Nepal and features Snapdragon 855 which is being used on high-end phones like Samsung Galaxy S10 series, OnePlus 7 and OnePlus 7 Pro, etc.
Realme X2 Pro
Design & Build Quality
Realme X2 pro comes with glass on the back protected by corning gorilla glass 5 and aluminum frame. Overall the design of the phone looks quite good and you will get the flagship phone kind of design and build quality. The phone features a quad-camera setup on the back with a teardrop notch and an in-display fingerprint sensor on the front.
Talking about the screen of the phone, it features a 6.5-inch full HD+ Super AMOLED 90Hz panel with HDR support. And the screen is very bright with deep blacks and punchy colors. Not only has that it also featured the 90Hz panel which makes the display even fast and snappy.
Moving towards the performance, Realme X2 Pro features the latest overclocked Snapdragon 855+ chipset which can handle almost everything you run at it. At this price point, this is the first device to have 855+ which makes it the best flagship killer phone. If we compare the GeekBench score, it even outranked Note 10 in multi-core whereas it lacks behind in single-core. Not only that also features the latest UFS 3.0 but this is available only on 256GGB variant. For other variants, it uses UFS 2.1 which is still great.
It features a quad-camera set up on the back with primary 64MP, f/1.8 aperture lens, Ultra-wide 8MP, f/2.2 sensor, a 13MP telephoto camera, f/2.5 and 2MP depth sensor. In terms of video recording, the phone can record the 4k videos at 60 fps and 960 fps slow motion at 720p resolution. In terms of the front-facing camera, it features a 16MP camera that captures good selfies.
In terms of battery, the phone features a 4000 mAh battery and the battery performance is also quite good. But the real highlight of this phone is the charging as it comes with a massive 50-watt VOOC charger which can charge a phone from 0-100% in just 30 minutes.
Realme X2 Pro specs
- Body: 161 x 75.7 x 8.7 mm, 199g; metal frame, Gorilla Glass 5 front and back.
- Display: 6.5" Super AMOLED, 90Hz, HDR10+ support, 1080 x 2400px resolution, 20:9 aspect ratio, 402 ppi; .
- Rear camera: Primary: 64MP, f/1.8 aperture, 1/1.7" sensor size, 0.8µm pixel size, PDA. Ultra wide: 8MP, f/2.2, 1/3.2", 1.4µm pixels; PDAF. Telephoto camera: 13MP, f/2.5, 1/3.4", 1.0µm, PDAF, 2x optical zoom; Depth sensor: 2MP; 2160p@30/60fps, 1080p@30/60/120fps, 720p@480/960fps video recording.
- Front camera: 16MP, f/2.0, 1µm.
- OS: Android 9 Pie; ColorOS 6.1.
- Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon 855+ (7 nm): Octa-core (1x2.96 GHz Kryo 485 & 3x2.42 GHz Kryo 485 & 4x1.78 GHz Kryo 485), Adreno 640 (700 MHz) GPU.
- Memory: 6GB/8GB of RAM; 64/128/256GB storage; no microSD card slot.
- Battery: 4,000mAh; 50W SuperVOOC Flash Charge, Support for 18W USB Power Delivery and Quick Charge 4.0+.
- Connectivity: Dual-SIM; LTE-A, 4-Band carrier aggregation, LTE Cat-20/ Cat-13; USB-C; Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, DLNA, hotspot, GPS; Bluetooth 5.1, A2DP, LE;
- Misc: Under-display fingerprint reader; Stereo loudspeakers, NFC, 3.5mm audio jack, 64GB version comes with UFS 2.1 and the rest are UFS 3.0.
- 90Hz screen at a bargain
- Superfast charging (30 minutes to full)
- Top-class speakers
- Base version has no UFS 3.0
- No IP rating
- No wireless charging
- No memory expansion
Redmi K20 Pro
Design & Build Quality
After the huge success of PocoPhone F1, Xiaomi launched Redmi K20 Pro as another flagship killer phone and without a doubt, it is one of the best flagship killer phones. In terms of design, the phone features a motorized pop-up camera and a triple camera set up on the back. With the use of a pop-up camera, the screen looks great and gives you the bezel-less screen which enhances the user experience. It features a 6.39 inch super AMOLED full HD+ panel with HDR support. Overall the screen looks bright and good. For more detail, please check out our full review of Redmi k20 Pro.
In-terms of performance, Redmi K20 pro features the latest QUALCOMM Snapdragon 855 chipset built on 7nm with octa-core CPU (1x2.84 GHz Kryo 485 Gold + 3x2.42 Kryo 485 Gold + 4x1.78 GHz Kryo 485 Silver) and Adreno 640 GPU. So, you can expect the high-level performance and it can handle almost any application smoothly. K20 Pro is available on an 8/256GB variant in Nepal which is priced at Rs. 49,999. In this price there no other phone which provides this kind of specifications.
Redmi K20 Pro features a triple camera set up on the back with 48 MP primary sensor, 8 MP Telephoto lens, and 13MP wide-angle lens. In terms of video recording, the phone can shoot videos at 4k@60fps. The photos from K20 pro is quite good with natural colors and a good dynamic range.
As for the front facing camera, it features a motorized 20 MP pop-up camera that can shoot some good selfies.
As for the battery, the phone features a 4000mAh battery with an 18-watt fast charger out of the box. The overall battery performance is quite good and can last a day easily.
Xiaomi Redmi K20 Pro Specs
- Body: Aluminum frame, Gorilla Glass 5 front, glass back;
- Display: 6.39" AMOLED, notch-free, 2,340x1,080px resolution, 19.5:9 aspect ratio, 402ppi; HDR 10 and DCI-P3 compliant.
- Triple rear camera: Wide - 48MP f/1.8, 1/2", 0.8µm pixel size, PDAF; Telephoto - 8MP, f/2.4, 1.12µm pixel size, 2x zoom; Ultra-wide - 13MP, f/2.4, 1.12µm pixel size; 2160p@60fps.
- Front camera: Motorized pop-up 20MP, 0.8µm pixel size, f/2.2; 1080p/30fps video recording; drop detection.
- OS: Android 9 Pie; MIUI 10 with Poco launcher 2.0
- Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon 855: octa-core CPU (1x2.84 GHz Kryo 485 Gold + 3x2.42 Kryo 485 Gold + 4x1.78 GHz Kryo 485 Silver), Adreno 640 GPU.
- Memory: 6GB of RAM; 64/128GB storage or 8GB of RAM, 128/256GB storage
- Battery: 4,000mAh Li-Po (sealed); 18W fast charging.
- Connectivity: Dual-SIM; LTE-A, 4-Band carrier aggregation, Cat.15/13 (800Mbps/150Mbps); USB-C; Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac; dual-band GPS; Bluetooth 5.0
- Misc: Under-display fingerprint reader; single down-firing speaker; 3.5mm jack
Also Read: MI Mobile Price in Nepal
Also Read: Realme Phone Price in Nepal